Bonbo Dance and Tamang Culture celebration

/ Monday, January 3, 2011 /
20th and 21st Dec, 2010, Taramarang-2, Batase, Sindhupalchok Photos by: Ramesh Tamang

Bonbos performing during ritual
Few days ago Ramesh samdi informed me to join  Sindhupalchok trip with TYS team. I said 'OK samdi.' On 20th December we headed to Sindhupalchok by Ama Hyolmo Yatayat bus. I was feeling as if I am going to Hyolmo. Cos I have got a Hyolmo friend Makku aka Pasang. Hyolmo is one of the very beautiful tourism places Nepal. Specially the Hyolmo people are more religious and they have preserved and kept alive Buddhist culture. That's the reason why I am so much attracted with this place and the most important thing is that Hyolmo people and I belong same religion and culture. Makku and I studied +2 at same college (Whitefield). We spent two years together and I never forget that we were three guys Kunchhang, Pasang and myself and were too close friends.Once Pasang had written an article about Hyolmo on wall magazine of our college and won the prize. He had offered me several time to visit his place. But due to my personal problems I couldn't go there. Now he is in Hyolmo and sometimes makes me call and says 'don't you come here?'  But  still I haven't gone. I have a wish in my heart that one day I will visit his place.   
  
 The journey was so extreme. Condition of the road was so poor. We had to pull and push the bus in several places. We were six guys in the last seat of the bus. Since it was my first meeting with them. But had really good time with them. They all were so nice and funny guys and became my companion. We made a lots of fun in the journey sang Antakshari, made loud noises and many more. We had to walk in many places because of poor condition of the road. In this way finally we reached there. We all were so tired. But we could easily forget all the pains because of warm welcoming and caring of Tamang people of that place. Campfire, having Irak (local alcohol) and making jokes …wow! What a nice night. Kelly an Australian visitor, she was the one of the interesting part of having Irak. Saying ‘Raksi! Raksi’ she finished about four glasses of Irak :D
Tamang people of Taramarang Sindhupalchok in Panchami mela
 21st of Dec the day of Panchami mela. Bonbos were worshiping the goddess since early morning. They celebrate this festival every year ever since time of their ancestors. People, Bonbos form all around that area gather in the temple of goddess and worship for well being and prosperity of all. As Tamang people worship the nature and that was also a part of nature worshiping. At the same time the formal programme was held. Sindhupalchok is known as one of the most girl trafficking area of our country. Due to lack of education and awareness people are facing this kind of problems. So to minimize these problems Tamang Youth Society is carrying out the campaigns and programmes in remote Tamang villages. With the huge participation of local people and organizations we finished the programme. We danced with the locals with the dancing numbers performed by several Tamang artists. That was one of memorable journey in my life. I miss you Sindhupalchok………..!!!
My companions at the jorney
My photo
Nepal
Hi everyone. I call myself a Traveller boy. Born on the lap of mountains. Doing down to up and up to down the mountain for survival is all about how we live. colours of life and culture waving in Buddhist prayer flags and spinning prayer wheel symbolises endless journey of life. And at the same time its all about being happy, keep peace and harmony. Tashi Delek!
 
Copyright © 2008-2012 Wheel of Life, All rights reserved